Simple SEO Techniques
Most of the steps that we take to optimize your web site in the advanced search engine optimization process can easily be done by most people. This article is to make clients aware of the factors that Google & Yahoo use to evaluate your web site and how you can continue to add content to your web site which will attract a high Google Pagerank and more visitors. It is also intended to introduce to you the value of building incoming links to your web site, which is the major factor of the Google Pagerank system and off-page web site optimization.
These are some fairly easy steps that anyone can do to increase their ranking with Google & Yahoo:
When it comes to off-the-page search engine optimization, this is pretty much synonymous with link building. Relevant links are better and links from higher rated websites (Google Pagerank) are best. Don't do all your search optimization at once - Google prefers links that appear gradually over time.
- Basic Search Submit
• We use Addweb 8 to bulk submit to many major search engines and directories. -about 40 submissions that matter and many more junk submissions (link lists)
• We use dreamsubmit.net for a quick easy submit also. (about 30 search engines and directories)
• We sometimes use Comment Kahuna for blog commenting.
• Hand submit to Yahoo!
• Hand submit to Hotfrog.com (U.S. only)
• Hand submit to DMOZ.org, this may take several tries because most submissions are rejected, even quality ones.
• Hand submit to Alexa.com.
• Hand submit to archive.org
- Social Bookmark SEO Etc.
• Create 1 to 3 bookmarks on delicious.com.
• Create 1 or 2 links on Myspace. Get some friends.
• Create 1 to 3 links on Propeller.com, try also Flickr, Furl, Digg
• If possible, create a video of whatever it is that you do and put it on YouTube with link in description and the URL name in the video itself.
• Many times, people you do business with will link to you, don't overlook these. Exchanging mutual links is not nearly as impressive to Google as one-way links.
• If you have an ecommerce site, don't stop selling on Ebay. Add a link from Ebay to your terms and conditions, policies, etc on your website.
• Check out directory.classifieds1000.com -and- free-press-release.com and do a google search for "free press release"
- Blog Submissions
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "add url" - for instance : web design "add url" <- yes it goes in quotes.
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "add link" - try to submit your web link here too.
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "submit url" - isn't SEO fun?
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "submit link"
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "add site"
• Do a Google search for your keyphrase + "add comment" - submit relevant comments to blogs wherever you get a chance and leave a website URL. - If you leave irrelevant, spammy comments, they will not be approved by moderators.
• Time is another factor. You may have heard of the Google sandbox effect. This effect is probably mostly just a function of the fact that Google gives credit for links over time rather than being just a one-off effect. The longer your link stays on a high ranking relevant site, the more value it contributes.
-This is by no means a comprehensive SEO checklist; I will edit this post as I have time, but let's move on-
If you like this article, please, Bookmark Us for later reference.
- Keyword Research
• Get an account with Google, use the Keyword Tool - adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
• Using the Google Keyword Tool find 2 or 3-word keyphases that are relevant to your site. Depending on what type of site you have, this may include a city name - such as: Gainesville web design or e-commerce web designer or search engine optimization or maybe if you're feeling brave, just web design, technology or SEO. Through experience I have found that I prefer to optimize for phrases that get around 40,000 searches per month; any more than that and it's hard to reach the first page.
• Compare your Google PageRank with top sites who are competing for your keywords. Use: - www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php
• Do a Google search for your keywords preceded by the tilde sign ~ . for example : ~web design turns up results for web design, website design and graphic design. You should also include these relevant keywords and phrases in your website, even if you don't want to optimize for them. For example your business may do web design but not graphic design. Somehow mentioning graphic design will be beneficial anyway.
- Keyword Placement
• Check out webconfs.com - and - webconfs.com/keyword-density-checker - your density for each phrase should be 3% to 5%
• Your meta title tag should be no more than 8 to 10 words and contain your primary key phrases.
• Meta keywords and description tags should be filled with keywords and phrases too. Many people make these too long trying too overstuff. There is some debate about exactly how long is optimal for SEO.
• Meta tags for each page should be different.
• Include your key phrases in headings, link text, bold print and image alt tags.
• A picture is worth 1000 words and Google seems to prefer pages with pictures, providing of course that they have title or alt tags.
• The size of your website overall will generally impact the size of your traffic flow; more content is better for search engine optimization. However, individual pages themselves should be short to medium when possible.
• Google loves new and changing content; update your website often.